Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Make a Better Life!

Don't wish you could just snap your fingers and make some changes - some serious changes? What would that look like for you?

Things you might want

Lose weight

Pay off debt

Disease healed

House organized

House cleaned

New Job

More happiness

Yeah - that's just a few of the biggies that pop up. Oh, how we want things to be different! We want to look and feel younger. We want to undo mistakes and sins of our past. We want to be forgiven. We want to be able to forgive! We want to stop hating ourselves. We want to feel like smiling. We want to have not been abused. We want to find success - whatever that means (and it's different for everyone). Oh, how we long for something to finally click! We want something magical, mystical or miraculous to happen that will instantly zap us out of where we are and thrust us into the new life.

Here's the kicker - even if that happened - you'd still be the same person.  You'd react based on what you know. How many stories have you heard of people who get their weight loss dream and then gain it back (and more)? How many people have won lotteries of vast sums of money only to find themselves financially broke and despondent? How many have walked away from jobs they hate into new dream jobs and still discover they're unhappy? It happens all. the. time.

The answer to our life problems can't be found in a pill, a bottle, a man or a woman, and to be honest, it can't be found in religion alone. No, what we need is something only we with God's help can master. Each one of us holds the key to our freedom and new joy. I'm reminded in this moment that the Bible teaches Jesus is strong when we are weak and He said He came to bind up our wounds. That is 100% true. Still, how is He going to do that when  you are running hard in the opposite direction? Just my human thoughts, here...

Note: Part of what makes tomorrow beautiful and powerful is what you overcame to get there. Don't wish it all away. It's the ashes God uses to create beauty. 

The secret to a better life can be found in your personal decisions - the ones you make day in and day out.  Big decisions sometimes, but usually it's the little ones. We make choices day in and day out that either keep us where we are, move us deeper into a pit, or move us forward.

Choices 
Facebook - to scroll or not to scroll
Alarm clock - get up or snooze
Nourishment - health or indulgence
Exercise - yes or no
Love - give or withhold
Forgiveness - same as love
Money - spend, save, invest, waste
Books - mindless or mind-filling
T.V. - watch it or do something productive

These are some bits and pieces we make decisions about on a regular basis. These decisions have the ability to add or take away from our joy, health, wealth, life.

What if you chose to love at every opportunity - including yourself? What could that look like in light of all of these decisions? Recently, I realized I was forgetting to show myself love through exercise. 

BTW - Exercise should not be a punishment. Exercise is a way to show love to yourself and gratitude for the life God has blessed you with. We honor God and self by caring for our bodies. 

Last year about this time I was making new choices. I was deciding to act on wisdom and knowledge I'd accumulated through the years. It was a new empowered choice that allowed me to take back some big chunks of my life and stop being a victim (something I preached on a lot but wasn't fully living out). I started a 90 day plan for intentional growth. I chose a 90 day devotional (Awaken by Priscilla Shirer).  I started implementing Hal Elrod's Miracle Morning routine. I invited friends to join me in my quest. I had some days that were better than others. I had parts of the Miracle Morning that I enjoyed (and implemented) more than others, but I kept at it. One. Step. At. A. Time. Good days. Bad days. I just kept at it.

Fast forward to a year later (almost): my life  is radically different. I only made the connection yesterday and I just wept as I realized the power those few decisions had in my life. I had one desire and that was to grow - to thrive! I was praying that God would change me, not my circumstances. I prayed to be more content  and thankful for what I'd been given. Oh, how He answered those prayers!

Today, I sit here:

  • 70 lbs lighter
  •  A life coach 
  • A 57 year old college senior
  • At peace in my soul
  • Content
  • Joyful
  • Transformed 
What can you do?
Get still  and quiet - start with reflection.
Consider your decisions - are they serving you?
Try getting up earlier.
Explore your heart's desires and what's in the way.
Show yourself love and grace.
Accept responsibility for what you do (and don't do). 
Stop blaming others - just stop it.
Practice abundant thanksgiving. 








No comments:

Post a Comment