Saturday, September 1, 2018

The Perfection of Imperfection

Even as I write the title, I am moved by truth. Imperfection is actually perfect. It blows me away to fully consider this. I am, by far, the most imperfect person I know. I can be selfish, rude,  self-serving, and shallow - and that's the tip of the iceberg. I eat when I'm anxious, sad, happy, and mad. I laugh at inappropriate things and can cry at the drop of a hat. I know I'm not supposed to care what you think about me, but I do. I am guilty of things that would very likely surprise you. And this is where I am today - imperfect and in that is it's own perfection.

Oh, I know how it sounds to the most religious of you. Glorifying in my sin. Celebrating things that are wrong. But, oh my dear friend, that's not how it is at all. My sin breaks my heart. I would that I was different - so very often. I grow. I learn. And by the grace of God, I change. I like to think I improve - and I believe I do. I simply do not know how to be where I am except by where I've been. Those imperfections? Those flaws are part of the very reason I know Jesus and are surely evidence that I needed a savior. I could not, cannot overcome my weaknesses on my own. Frankly, I'm just too imperfect for that.

So many things are coming together in my head this morning ... realizing I feel hurt by someone taking me off of their friend list, absorbing a mind-blowing Scripture passage, facing some negative consequences of positive action (reference the unfriending part), realizing not everyone will like me or agree with me... and reckoning with that. It's o.k. It really is. You don't have to like me. You don't have to agree with me. I'm not here to please you. And that means you're not here to please me - or anyone else for that matter.

In a Perfect World 
by Stephanie Redmond, 2018


In a perfect world
We’d all be perfect.
There’d be no sin, no guilt, no shame.
There’d be no wrong and
You couldn’t be disappointed by me
Or me by you.

In a perfect world
You wouldn’t talk behind my back
Nor I behind yours.
Love would cover all
And there’d be no need
For “You hurt me”,
“I was wrong” and
“Please forgive me”.

In a perfect world
Sheep wouldn’t stray and
Shepherds would care for the one who did.
There’d be no tears, divorce, or even death.
We would love richly, worship freely, and
Live happily -
Ever after.

In a perfect world
I suppose we’d have no need for God,
Would never seek His face or
Know the power of His grace.
Thank God this world is not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment