Tuesday, June 19, 2018

They're children


CASA  volunteer
(Court Appointed Special  Advocate)
I don’t read the news as a general rule. My husband, on the other hand, reads numerous publications daily. I appreciate that he not only reads those who agree with his viewpoint, but also those who don’t. In most cases, he has a reasonable awareness of both sides of any political argument and is well-informed on current events. He loves it. I don’t. I also don’t watch the news and in fact, rarely watch regular t.v. I gave up 24 hour news a few years ago, probably during a presidential campaign. I found that the angry, vicious attacks from all sides did not serve me well. I realized most people on the broadcasts didn’t care so much about truth as they did power – staying in or getting more. Sometimes, like now, I’m sorry that I don’t know the facts or even the true argument.

I know that there are children in cages. And I know that people are upset. The images are hard. Pondering the fear of those children is even harder. As I mindlessly scrolled Facebook this morning, I found people of all political leanings outraged. And there’s tons of blaming. Tons. And it’s being hurled in every direction. On top of that, Scripture is being used like a weapon more than as wisdom.
In the middle of this, a woman I know posted about the plight of foster children. She spoke to the reality of what’s happening all the time, daily, in our local communities and we, the outraged, are turning our heads. A pastor posted about the lack of outrage when it comes to abortion. You can imagine how the comment thread went. My daughter posed the question, “What can we, the church, do right now to make a difference to these children?”. (paraphrased) That’s something to ponder.
I’m sitting here among my flood of thoughts, my guilt, and my indignation. I’m convinced both sides, and I’m sure there are more than 2 sides, are guilty of turning the glaring light of shame onto their counterparts while they lurk in shadows trying to appear innocent.

Meanwhile, in Georgia alone, there are over 11,000 innocent children in foster care. In my adjacent county, there are between 400 and 500 on any given day and less than 100 foster beds available in that same county. The children are housed in hotels downtown and often moved to other counties where beds can be found. These children grow up with stigma related to being foster children. Take note: they are in foster care because their parents could not, did not care for them adequately and safely. Sometimes (very often) it’s because of drugs. Other times, filth and neglect. It may be because of an unsafe home environment. Physical and sexual abuse are reasons. Domestic violence that endangers the children is a cause. Extreme poverty may play a part. Often times, because no family member steps forward or is able, victimized children are treated as if they are the problem. It’s heartbreaking. They are moved from home to home with their belongings in a paper bag or small suitcase or box. Frequently, they have to leave behind new toys or clothes or comfortable rooms to move when foster family situations aren’t working well, or the fosters change their minds or decide it’s too hard or even become too attached.
Some CASA volunteers -  Columbus, GA
In the blink of an eye, a child’s world can suddenly turn upside down. They don’t know what’s happening. They don’t understand. All they know is that they’re pulled out of all they’ve known and cast into a new and scary to them environment. Unfamiliar faces, foods, routines, schools. Pets are left behind. Favorite toys (and people) are gone. And sometimes, they never see them again. Parental rights may be terminated. The children may not have seen them in months or then again, they may be allowed weekly visitations and then suddenly it’s all over. What happens then? Their faces are added to adoption websites, calls are made to family members, and children are left to figure out what it even means.

I know why we don’t look at it. It’s ugly. It disturbs us. It makes us fear we may have to do something. I know. I struggle with it, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment