Tuesday, May 15, 2018

There’s a Rainbow on the Horizon



If you weren’t looking for it, you might not even see it, but off in the distance, very pale pastels line up in their proper order, and poke through and around and because of the clouds. Right there is the whole point summed up in one sentence.

I’m sitting in my new favorite spot, on an afterthought of a patio that’s under our screened deck. The only reason we poured concrete under here was to keep the mud at bay and yet, it’s a favorite spot. Why? Because it’s close to the water, but shady and dry. I can watch lake life happen. I can hear the birds. I can feel the breeze.

As I began to ponder my many thoughts this morning, I looked about to see what was happening on the lake and suddenly, quietly, I realized there was the palest of rainbows. And in that came a beautiful life lesson.

The first recorded rainbow that I know of is found in the book of Genesis in the Bible. It happens after the Lord had destroyed the earth by flood and all of its inhabitants save a few people (Noah and his family) and 2 of each animal, male and female. When the flood waters receded, God sent a rainbow as a sign of His promise to never destroy the whole Earth by flood again. Rainbows = hope, promise.

Rainbows are formed by sunlight shining through water. The water refracts the light into the beautiful spectrum of color known as a rainbow. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.
Today, I simply want to offer you hope in your own storm. The storm you think no one understands. It may be a private, hellish storm or it may be obvious to all who know you. Storms come in many forms. A storm to me, may not be any big deal to you. It’s all relative.

Storms can produce rainbows, literally and figuratively. No matter the storm, there is hope. There can be joy. Storms do not last forever. And the rainbow? Well, without the storm, without the rain, they don’t even happen.

Whatever you’re dealing with today, I offer hope that it is not a wasted trial. With the right perspective, you may be able to catch a glimpse, no matter how pale, of the rainbow waiting for you. Good can come from bad. (Romans 8:28) Our trials produce perseverance, perseverance builds character, character yields hope and hope does not disappoint (Romans 5:3-5). Based on this, you can actually give thanks for your storms. God can use it to bring the rainbow you’ve been waiting for.




No comments:

Post a Comment