Thursday, May 17, 2018

What’s the Point?


What’s the point? I mean, why? Seriously, why do you do what you do? And I’m not talking about the kind of reason you list with your accolades. I mean at the core of all you do, why do you do it? What’s the point?

Our society gets all hyped up about success, that is, “success”. We start training our kids at an early age on how to be “successful”: make good grades, have a good handshake, play a sport and a musical instrument, log hours of community service, go to church, be nice, don’t use derogatory speech, comb your hair, wear clean underwear and the one I used a ton, “Make wise choices”. Their father said, “Don’t be stupid.” (His was more effective.)

In our society, academics is pretty much everything and bragging about our kids’ academic success is the norm. Mommy competition at its finest. Social media has only heightened this. Goodness, we can tell the whole world how great our kids are in one status with a few pictures. Of course, what we’re really doing is highlighting how great we are as parents -but that’s another story. Good academics in high school leads to a good college which leads to a degree that leads to a Masters (at least) and we all know that leads to a good job which means SUCCESS!

And yet, time and again, we find burned out kids, parents, adults who are going through the drudgery of life, hating their successful jobs, fake smiling their way to work in their fancy cars as they drop off the next “successful” generation at their elite daycare … I mean, preschool.

Mom and "Tessie" are my favorite titles.
No, I’m not here to bash success and I’ve politely removed my tongue from my cheek. I’m here to push your why button. Are you going after superficial achievements? Are you discovering, like Solomon, that “All is vanity!”? (Ecclesiasties 1:2) Are you feeling stuck in the mire of life, afraid to admit but knowing in your gut, that you’re not doing anything of real value and that you’re dissatisfied?

I’m here today to challenge you to check in with your soul. And not just your soul, check in with GOD. Ask the tough questions – and it may take a month or two or a year or three years – about your purpose. Why did God put you on this planet?

Next college course
I’ve done this over the past couple of years (and I still don’t have complete clarity) and one thing I’m convinced of is that God designed me to help others find greater joy. I believe the ultimate joy experience comes through knowing Jesus as Savior and I seek to make Him known through my work. The more ways I find to discover, experience and express joy, the more I can help you do the same. I write for that reason. I don’t do grammar checks and I rarely rewrite – I feel good if I even proofread, though I have numerous examples as to why I should! I just write what God puts on my heart and I pray that it serves someone else. I bare as much of myself as I can in hope that in my raw state you will see that happiness and joy are possible for you, too. And while I’m certified in life coaching, I continue to study and immerse myself in this work because I owe it to you to bring the best me I can so that you can find the best you.

I’ve found a passion that fuels me. I’m learning at a deep level that everything I’ve been through, good and bad, is useful, not just for me, but for others. Keeping it to myself would deny others of the lesson or help they might need. As I was recently reminded, it’s not my story anyway.  “My” story is useful for others. And so, I put it out there and pray God can use it to encourage those who need it.
If you’re lacking fulfillment and satisfaction, I encourage you to:
  • ·         Start journaling your questions.
  • ·         Investigate your purpose on earth.
  • ·         Consider how God might use your spiritual gifts. (There are quizzes that may help you know what yours gifts are.)
  • ·         Ask God to show you how He might serve others through you.
  • ·         Read The Serving Leader.
  • ·         Examine your values. (A professional life coach can help with this.)


No comments:

Post a Comment