Friday, May 25, 2018

Birthday Musings



Every year on my birthday, I make it point to take time to reflect on the goodness of God in my life. I often read Psalm 25 (for the 25th, my birthdate) and I think of all his "lovingkindesses" and of how He "instructs" me. I pray that He will  forgive me my iniquities and "remember not the sins of my youth". How great is our God!

This past year marks a milestone in my life. I've gone from a place of great sadness to great joy. From  poor health to much improved health. From desperation to victory. I am 57 years "old" but feel younger than I have in a long, long while. I am experiencing life more abundantly.

For many years, I have taken the responsibility of having a happy birthday upon myself. I love parties and I love celebrations. I don't expect anyone to throw a party for me, though now and then through the years some have. I make my own party! Really, I do! This year we are planning a large family gathering to celebrate many birthdays - but I'd probably host this event even if it was just for my birthday. You see, I'm grateful for my life and I want to share it with others.

Daddy enjoying the sugar high!
Last year, I was away from home on my birthday, tending to important issues surrounding my mother's death. Still, I took time the day before and stole away for some special alone time. I toured a folk art center, enjoyed the rain, and bought myself some special things. On my actual birthday, I treated Dad and I to beignets, had lunch with some wonderful family, and had a custard with Daddy. Those moments (and photos) took on greater meaning when Daddy died a little over a month later. Even in my sadness and grief, I wanted to make sure I took time to be thankful. I'm so glad I did!

Happiness is an inside job. No one else can "make you happy" and it isn't fair to put that on them. I live my life now to help others dig deep and discover their own joy and happiness so that they can more fully celebrate and enjoy the life and blessings they have. I pray that this day you will reflect on God's goodness to you and find your own reasons to celebrate.

Training Dad on selfies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment